Now seeking: Research intern (unpaid)
Missing Children Europe is looking to recruit a multi-faceted research intern (unpaid) to support, execute and implement research efforts for the organisation to assist programmes, fundraising and membership staff.
Missing Children Europe is the European federation for missing and sexually exploited children, representing 30 organisations from 26 European countries. We provide the link between research, policies and organisations on the ground, to protect children from any kind of violence, abuse or neglect that is caused by, or results from them going missing.
The research intern will report to the Secretary General in conducting desk research relevant to different projects and functions. These projects would mainly fall under supporting the following:
· Programme needs:
o Literature search on runaways: creation of an extensive bibliography of existing research literature on runaways in the US, Canada, UK and Europe and an overview of the most relevant findings, to support the creation of a research proposal on runaways in the EU
o To assist the development a runaways programme at Missing Children Europe
· Membership needs:
o Membership overview and mapping: creation of an overview of existing member organisations as well as mapping potential new members on the basis of our three strategic priorities (runaways, parental abductions and children in migration) and to ensure that the network has a representative in every EU Member State, on the basis of the member expansion strategy
o To assist with other membership projects or efforts on the basis of the membership strategy or deriving from the above mentioned mapping
· Fundraising needs:
o Donor overview and mapping: creation of a donor-tracker which enables MCE to have a full overview of its current, past and potential donors (institutional donors; trusts and foundations; High Net Worth Individuals; corporate and individual donors) allowing MCE to monitor donations;
o To assist with the creation of a timely and appropriate donor thanking system;
o To assist with the organisation of fundraising events and activities.
o Various tasks assisting programme, membership and fundraising staff
Profile, skills and background:
· University degree or equivalent in social or political sciences, human rights, EU or international affairs or other relevant field
· Experience in research (papers, thesis); keen interest in research and the ability to think of the big picture while also having an eye for detail
· Excellent command of English
· Understanding and interest in general children’s rights/child protection issues
· Ability to work well in small team with people from different professional and cultural backgrounds
· Ability to work quickly and efficiently as well as stress resistant
· Positive with a can do attitude and desire to receive feedback and improve
· Ability to work proactively and to take charge of projects and efforts
· Ability to work within tight budget constraints and a creative problem solver
· Knowledge of other EU languages
· Relevant experience interning with other human rights organisations (especially in a research capacity)
An exciting internship for 6 months in a small, dynamic organisation dealing with problems related to the disappearance and sexual exploitation of children at a European level.
This is an unpaid position though expenses such as travel and lunches (up to 6 euros) can be covered. We are looking for candidates who are required to do an internship as part of their higher education requirements.
· 4-6 months
· Starting date: ASAP
If you believe you qualify for this position please send along your CV (max 2 pages) and cover letter to Aagje Ieven of Missing Children Europe, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org by 25h April (12 am CET). Interviews are planned to take place on the 2nd and 3rd of May. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Staff recruited by Missing Children Europe will be asked to comply with our child protection policy, including necessary vetting and background checks of personnel. Missing Children Europe is an equal opportunity employer and does not to discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, colour, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or age.